Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Skype conversation with a friend...

I recently had a conversation on Skype with a friend who was asking some questions about what I was experiencing. I thought that maybe these questions might be passing through the minds of others. I told my friend I wanted to save this conversation and post it (with some major editing of course!).

I had been experiencing some very bad headaches since my 2nd mapping on the 29th of December. After reading the blog of another CI recipient who lives in Australia, I am learning that experiencing headaches are a normal side effect from the mappings. I am happy to say that headaches have ceased to just a mild ache in the area of where I have the implant at the end of a long day-but it's tolerable compared to the migraines I was having daily. I'm nervous that the 3rd mapping experience will start the headaches again, but since I am hearing at such a higher volume than when the Jenny (my audiologist) first turned on the implant, I think my brain is finally starting to make a lot more sense of the sounds.

Below is an excerpt from the chat I had with my friend. I left out anything that was not really relevant to his questions about the implant. I hope you find it to be as amusing as I do...and a bit informative as well!!

Chat between Friend & Lindz........
Friend: how are the headaches?
lindz: getting better...
Friend: good
lindz: I get shots of tramadol to help.
Friend: any idea how long they are going to last?
lindz: well I have a feeling I will get headaches with each mapping...until my brain adjusts to the stimulation
Friend: that’s what it sounds like.
lindz: my headaches have gone away for now so I am happy about that...the swelling has gone down...I can totally feel my implant, it kind of weird’s me out
Friend: what when you touch it or always?
lindz: both... at the end of the day I can feel it kind of aching in my head and the magnet makes my skull sore.
Friend: well the touch thing will always be there, but you will get use to it
lindz: and yeah I will get used to it..It just feels really weird....
Friend: I bet. But you’re now a bionic woman
Friend: you voice is getting better.
lindz: you are the 3rd person to say that!
Friend: when did that start?
lindz: oh...i guess when I got the implant turned on.
lindz: I guess I am hearing my voice better?
Friend: like your speech is way better.
Friend: you have lost your deaf lisp
lindz: like I said...you’re the 3rd or 4th person to say that
lindz: I want to go back to speech therapy. It’s a bit tiring...because I feel like I am enunciating things differently
lindz: I guess....I feel a bit embarrassed about blogging....
Friend: why?
lindz: I don't want to seem vain..... But I do know people are interested.
lindz: I really have to save this convo!!! 
Friend: that’s because its technology being used in the way it was intended to.
lindz: pretty trippy huh?? I now understand a lot more of other people's perspectives about the implant.
Friend: if you had to do it again would you?
lindz: the implant????
lindz: well...
Friend: yes
lindz: I'm really glad I waited....
lindz: but I think I'm an exceptional case.
Friend: I don’t know.... what do the doctors think?
lindz: if they had the technology as well as they do now back when I was diagnosed...then that is a different story
lindz: they agree I would not have been a candidate back then
Friend: so I have a question
Friend: it’s a computer chip, do they have software updates.
lindz: YES!
lindz: that’s why I have to keep going back
Friend: I hope Microsoft is not doing them
Friend: LOL
Friend: what is it like after a new mapping?
lindz: very disorienting for the first hour or so
Friend: what are they doing?
lindz: my mom and dad was with me the first time, my stepdad the 2nd time
Friend: so, when you get to the clinic, do you unplug it?
Lindz: so yes when I go in...They set me up to a computer and reprogram it and increase the volume on 4 programs
**********************************************************************************

This is as far as our conversation got as my friend had to log off....but this is a great starting point to keep up my motivation to blog and answer questions that people have. So please! ask away...or have a chat with me about it online-just be warned that I might copy and paste what we discussed in a blog (and of course your identity will be protected).

More later!!...

1 comment:

  1. Truly amazing stuff... I am so glad you're sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete

The Reinvention of Me

My photo
Truckee, CA, United States
Writing about my always evolving life and the personal insights and new perspectives will hopefully allow me to connect with others on a multitude of levels. We are all connected one way or another, and we are always seeking ways in which we can relate to others. I hope I can open bring as much awareness to others as they do to me....

Followers